Science Fiction

I love science fiction. Love it, love it, love it, love it...

Why? I like the idea of something more out there - worlds, alternate universes, other species, the possibility of travelling to other galaxies.

Sure, there's a good chance the above may well bring about our demise, but there's an equally good chance it will all be awesome.

Friday, August 6, 2010

Cloverfield

Okay, I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight. I just watched Cloverfield for the second time...

It is one scary piece of cinema! I think what makes it so scary is that it's not really clear at the beginning what's happening or what the 'thing' actually is. It's also the normality of it - say what? Normality? Creatures attacking New York? Have I lost my mind??

Let me explain - the movie starts with an everyday party with characters that could be friends of mine or yours. They are not typical 'movie' characters. I can imagine being at a party like that with people like that. If the lights suddenly went out and there was a loud bang - I could imagine my friends and I watching the news to try and find out what was happening. Nobody knows what's going on and everyone is starting to shit themselves. There's a bit of excitement and strange smiles as we get more and more nervous. Nobody knows what to do next.

If you have given Cloverfield a miss because you think it will be too much like 'Blair Witch' then put those sinful thoughts aside! Cloverfield is brilliantly done...and scary (have I mentioned that before?). About the only thing I found a bit odd was when they take off in the chopper - why the hell didn't the pilot fly away from where the creature was? It wasn't exactly small, so it was pretty easy to spot!

Aside from that though, Cloverfield is officially on my favourites list.

And, to finish off, here's a tip for you if you don't already know about it - keep your eye on the upper right side of the screen in the last scene on the ferris wheel...that's all I'm going to say...

No comments:

Post a Comment