Science Fiction

I love science fiction. Love it, love it, love it, love it...

Why? I like the idea of something more out there - worlds, alternate universes, other species, the possibility of travelling to other galaxies.

Sure, there's a good chance the above may well bring about our demise, but there's an equally good chance it will all be awesome.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Jane Eyre in Space

I've just finished reading the most interesting novel. It's by Sharon Shinn and basically she has taken the story of Jane Eyre and set it in space. In case you aren't familiar with the story of Jane Eyre - set in basically an orphan girl is placed with her aunt who doesn't really like her, she ends up going to a boarding school, and from there goes to Thornfield Hall. And, that's all I'm going to tell you...so there!

Jane Eyre was set in the early 19th century, but Jenna Starborn (the alternate Jane) is set in an unidentified time in space.

I was initially sceptical about the book - but was pleasantly surprised. It was somewhat predicatable of course, given I know the story of Jane Eyre, but I did find myself intrigued as to how Sharon Shinn would incorporate aspects of the orginal story into her novel. It was an easy read and I enjoyed it. For a nice interlude between heavy sci-fi, Jenna Starborn is like a holiday on the coast doing nothing.

The one thing that has really been interesting is - my Mum! She's not really been into science fiction, but I convinced her to give Jenna Starborn a go. She read it in a couple of days and followed up with asking me 'is this science fiction? Is there any more like this?'. So, hey, if her books can get my Mum reading science fiction - I am all for Sharon Shinn's work!

No comments:

Post a Comment